With some important announces made recently about consumer launch windows for HMDs, here’s our Q2 2015 updated Hardware Radar chart.
The VR Hardware Radar plots companies developing a range of different hardware peripherals and equipment into one of the following categories:
- HMD – Integrated: A virtual reality head-mounted display with the screen integrated into the unit. This segment (obviously) includes Oculus, as well as companies such as HTC, ImmersiON-VRelia, Avegant, Sony and ANTVR.
- HMD – With Mobile Device: A virtual reality head-mounted display using a third-party mobile device as the screen. Companies in this segment include Durovis, Seebright,Altergaze, Vrizzmo and Samsung.
- Controller – Hand Device / Glove / Body Unit: An input device using hands and/or body movement for tracking via sensors. PrioVR, STEM, Control VR and Leap Motion are all included in this element of the market.
- Controller – Treadmill / Foot Control: An input device that tracks leg/foot movements. In this category we include Virtuix Omni, InfinAdeck, the Cyberith Virtualizer and Stompz.
- Controller – Haptics: An input device for hands and body that also provides tactile feedback by force or vibration. The KOR-FX Gaming Vest, iMotion and the Reactive Grip are three of the products included here.
- 3D Camera: A video or image recording device that captures 3D stereoscopic views.Jaunt, NextVR and Matterport are within this grouping.
- End-to-End Platform: A company that provides HMD systems coupled with input devices and motion capture. This category brings together companies that are creating VR experiences encompassing HMDs, input devices, games and other elements. Survios and VRCade are two examples.
- Misc: Products not fitting into other categories (obviously).
We assign companies according to their launch stage as they bring their products to market. And, as mentioned earlier, due to the speed of this market we’re now updating this tracking on a monthly basis. Launch stages are classified as follows: Continue reading →